- Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau invokes emergency powers to deal with truck driver protests
- Omicron found in 95% of Mumbai samples in latest genome sequencing
- US temporarily relocates its embassy in Ukraine
- Japanese economy grew 1.3% in Q4, 1.7% in 2021
†1 new updateClick here for the latest updates
Union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to meet today at 4 p.m.
South Korean Covid deaths rise, hope rests on high booster rate
- South Korea reported its highest number of Covid-19 deaths in a month on Tuesday, as US health authorities advised Americans not to travel to the country grappling with a rapidly evolving global microwave. The 61 deaths reported by the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency on Tuesday were the highest daily number since the 74 reported on Jan. 19, when the country emerged from an outbreak caused by the delta variant.
Switzerland’s Corinne Suter wins the women’s Olympic downhill
- World champion Corinne Suter confirmed Switzerland’s dominance at the Beijing Games on Tuesday as she battled to victory in the women’s Olympic downhill for the country’s fourth gold.
- The 27-year-old racer clocked 1 minute 31.87 seconds on the “Rock” course in Yanqing, finishing 0.16 seconds ahead of defending champion Sofia Goggia of Italy, whose silver capped a remarkable return to form after breaking her knee last month. injured in a crash.
Vaccination certificate not required to visit Puri Jagannath Temple from Feb 21
- Taking into account the declining trend of Covid-19 infections across the country, the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) has decided that from February 21, devotees will no longer be required to carry a double-dose vaccination certificate to enter the 12th shrine. enter, a top SJTA official said.
Money laundering | ED officials visit the residence of Dawood Ibrahim’s sister Haseena Parkar in Mumbai
UP polls | Suheldev Bharatiya Samaj Party leader Omprakash Rajbhar says he was attacked yesterday while submitting the nomination of party candidate Arvind Rajbhar from the Shivpur constituency of Varanasi.
- “Yogi Ji wants to kill me. Goons from BJP & Yogi were sent there in black coats,” he says.
Covid-19: Active cases comprise 0.99 percent of total infections, while national Covid-19 recovery rate has further improved to 97.82 percent, health ministry says
- Cumulative coverage of Covid-19 vaccination in India is over 173.42 crore
Five people, including four police officers, died when a Gujarat Police vehicle carrying a suspect from Delhi to Gujarat was involved in an accident in the Bhabroos area of Jaipur, tweet Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot
से गुजरात अभियुक्त लेकर जा रही गुजरात पुलिस का वाहन जयपुर भाबरू भाबरू क्षेत्र में दुर्घटनाग्रस्त होने से 4 पुलि… https://t.co/2baMDXGyhK
— Ashok Gehlot (@ashokgehlot51) 1644896547000
- Indian markets open in green: Sensex up 460 points at 56,866, Nifty jumps 136 points to 16,980
Enforcement Directorate conducts searches in various places linked to the people connected to the underworld, in Mumbai in a money laundering case: Sources
Directorate of Enforcement (ED) conducts searches in various places related to the people associated with the v… https://t.co/Wl9MoazgO4
— ANI (@ANI) 1644897112000
Omicron found in 95% of Mumbai samples in latest genome sequencing
- The Omicron variant had triggered the third wave of the coronavirus pandemic in late December 2021 and has now subsided in the state capital of Maharashtra.
- Mumbai reported 192 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, the lowest daily number since Dec. 13.
The daily number of covid-19 cases in India rises by 27,409 to reach a total of 42.6 million
Daily covid-19 deaths rise by 347, death toll reaches 509,358
Primary schools and higher primary schools will reopen in West Bengal from tomorrow
However, the curfew will remain in effect from midnight to 5 a.m. until Feb. 28, according to a state government order.
Security forces find cache of weapons and ammunition in JK’s Poonch
A stockpile of weapons and ammunition, including an AK-47 rifle and two handguns, were recovered near the LoC in the village of Deri Dabsi in the Mendhar area of J&K’s Poonch district.
BSP candidate asks people to vote for BJP in audio clip
An audio clip of Kundarki Assembly segment BSP candidate and incumbent MLA, Haji Rizwan, has gone viral, in which he can be heard calling on his supporters to vote for the BJP “to prevent Zia-ur Rahman, the grandson of Samajwadi party of Sambhal MP Shafiqur Rahman Barq, of winning the seat”.
US temporarily relocates its embassy in Ukraine
“We are in the process of temporarily moving our embassy activities in Ukraine from our embassy in Kiev to Lviv due to the dramatic acceleration in Russian troop build-up,” US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.
Canada’s Trudeau invokes emergency powers to crush protests
- Trudeau says he has invoked emergency powers to try to crush protests by truck drivers and others who have paralyzed Ottawa and blocked border crossings.
- Trudeau ruled out the use of the military, saying the emergency measures “will be time-bound and geographically focused.
- For the past two weeks, thousands of protesters in trucks and other vehicles have clogged the streets of Ottawa, the capital.
- Members of the self-proclaimed Freedom Convoy have also blocked several US-Canada border crossings
Japanese economy grew 1.3% in Q4, 1.7% in 2021
- Japan’s economy recovered, growing 1.3 percent quarter on quarter in the three months to December
- Third-quarter growth of the world’s third-largest economy was slightly below market expectations of 1.5 percent
- The economy grew 1.7 percent in real terms in 2021, the economy’s first annual growth in three years.
G20 finance ministers, central bank governors meet in Jakarta
- High-profile topics to be discussed during the meeting include inflation, policy normalization and digitalization to help G20 members recover their economies from the pandemic situation
- The high-level meetings are being held amid increasing daily Covid-19 cases in Indonesia.
Kerala trans couple tie knot on Valentine’s Day
- Trans couple Syama S Prabha and Manu Karthika tied the knot in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- The groom Manu, a native of Thrissur, works in an IT company in Techno Park and the Thiruvananthapuram born Syama works in the transgender cell under the Kerala Social Justice Department.
- Syama and Manu are planning to go to the Supreme Court to register their marriage under the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019.
IAS Official Vineet Joshi Named New CBSE Chair
- IAS Vineet Joshi, Additional Secretary, Department of Higher Education, has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Central Council of Secondary Education
- Joshi has replaced IAS Manoj Ahuja.